If you’re like most people going to therapy for the first time, you’ll be sure and want to make your therapist like you. Don’t worry, this is normal. It’s a symptom of what you came to therapy for and, with any luck, you’ll get over it in due time.
(By the way, I’m being totally facetious as I write this, except for #1.)
In the meantime, here are the top ten ways to make your therapist like you:
10. Be on time for your appointments.
9. Fill out all forms completely and accurately, with legible handwriting.
8. Pay your fees or co-payments at the beginning of each session.
8a. Don’t bounce your checks.
7. Give 24 hours notice if you have to cancel.
6. Faithfully do any assigned homework.
5. Don’t spill anything on the carpet or wreck the furniture.
4. Only take one tissue at a time when crying (these cost money, you know).
3. Don’t get openly angry with your therapist.
2. Don’t attempt suicide.
And finally, the number one way to make your therapist like you:
1. Stop caring about how your therapist feels about you. That means you’re getting better, which makes your therapist happiest of all!
Let me know what you think of this. In the meantime, good luck with your therapy process!
Copyright 2013 Daniel J, Metevier